Manassas, VA 20110
email: alexashton at gmail.com
Career objectives – short-term
- Free-lance website setup
- Content contributor in relevant areas of expertise
- Copywriting and editing services
- User manual and technical documentation services
- Grow current web properties in terms of visitors, content, and revenue
Career objectives – long-term
- Technical documentation, product management, UX/UI design
- Continued growth of web properties
- Continue writing, get published
- Arizona State University – BS Technical Communication/User Experience; anticipated graduation Spring 2020
- Courses completed/enrolled:
- TWC 301: Fundamentals of Writing for Digital Media
- TWC 401: Fundamentals of Technical Communication
- Courses completed/enrolled:
- Northern Virginia Community College – AA Liberal Arts; graduated in Spring 2018
- Summa Cum Laude: 3.85 GPA
- Pi Kappa Theta honor society
- Technical Support Management – 10 years
- Support platforms: Remedy, Jira, ServiceNow
- 8 years in ITIL environments, including an environment transitioning to ITIL
- Technical Documentation – 8 years as secondary skill, 1-year primary skill/duty
- Experience with: technical writing styles, AP style, citations, XML
- Familiarity with: 508 compliance
- UX/UI – 3 years supporting UX/UI and development teams and performing business analyst duties in support of such teams
- Asset management – 3 years directly managing hardware assets of a global organization; 7 years working in a heavily managed organization and enforcing adherence to asset management policies
- Technical recruiting – 9 years in a hiring manager capacity
- 1 year of direct recruiting experience – authoring/editing position descriptions, resume screening, reference checks, phone screens, face-to-face, on-boarding
- Microsoft Office Suite – expert level
- Windows Server Administration – experience with Active Directory, Exchange, Office 365 (including a migration from Exchange to O365), RSA, SCCM, Great Plains, print services
Professional – Relevant
- Founder – Vaal Web Properties – 2017-present
- Business home for five active web properties owned and maintained by Alex Ashton
- Content includes corporate website, personal website, t-shirt e-commerce store, travel guides and adult education resources.
- Services offered: technical writing, manual writing, small business web design, marketing, SEO.
- Technical Documentation Manager – eXtensia Technologies – August 2016-December 2016
- Created and turned over end-user manual and engineering documentation for a hardware product developed by eXtensia Technologies for HID Global
- Products used: Help & Manual 7, Adobe Creative Suite, Slate, GitHub, Jira, Microsoft Office, PHP Storm.
- Skills used: HTML, CSS, XML, Linux commands, PHP
- Global IT Support Manager – Liquidity Services – 2013-2016
- Manager of IT Support field technicians located across the United States, England, and the Philippines; set up and maintained global asset management database to account for all IT assets company-wide; worked with vendors to negotiate contracts for IT hardware and software procurement; acted as a primary point of contact for C-level staff in the corporate office for IT needs; constant travel to field offices for projects and staff support.
- Desktop Support Manager – L3 Communications/Unisys – 2006-2013
- Managed desktop support team contracted to the White House/Executive Office of the President under the direction of the Office of Administration.
- Interviewed, hired and led a team of 50 temporary staff in support of the 2008 presidential transition.
- Acted as primary point of contact for VIP level support, up to and including the President of the United States.
- Systems Administrator – URS Corporation (now AECom) – 2003-2006
- Supported end users in primary office in Virginia, as well as secondary offices in Maryland and Ohio. Supported a range of IT needs from computers, phones, and other desktop hardware to servers and network infrastructure.
- Customer Service Agent – Verizon Data Services – 2003
- Inbound telephone support for customer technical and billing needs.
Professional – Recent
- Bartender – BadWolf Brewing Company – 2018
- Bartender and manager on duty for two locations; open and close duties; assisted the company with winding down operations and selling off inventory as the main facility closed in April 2018.
- Bartender – Brew Republic Bierwerks – 2017-2018
- Bartender and manager on duty at a brewpub; perform open and nightly closeout duties, act as manager on duty to ensure staff schedule compliance and compliance with ABC laws and regulations.
IVHQ – 2016 – two-month project in Villa Allende, Cordoba, Argentina, repairing a municipal library which sustained extensive flood damage.